A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Monday, November 21, 2011

Brooklyn's Finest


I moved out of Brooklyn a few years ago, but every now and then I like to drop into some of the old haunts. After an impressive Irish breakfast at Prime Meats, we took a stroll down Court and Smith Streets. I was surprised to come across some intriguing men's clothing shops. Aside from the thrift shops that I regularly check into, the only men's shop around back then (and worth its salt) was The Brooklyn Circus, which opened around 2006, if I recall correctly. So it was nice to see a sprinkling of new additions (as in two) to the sartorial scene out in BK.

Unfortunately, it was very early on a Monday morning, so the shops were still closed. I hope to be back in a few weeks, when I'll hopefully have time to peruse some of the offerings on hand. Olaf's (not to be confused with the long-time purveyor of men's athletic wear in East Harlem), next to Frankie's 457 on Court Street, had a lovely window display in particular, hearkening back to the old Ivy League shops of yesteryear.



On Smith Street, we came upon another shop as we searched for Bien Cuit, a French bakery with a yam/sweet potato danish that is positively sublime. This one was called "Epaulet" - it, too, was closed, but it also appeared to be worth a return trip sometime in the foreseeable future.






In any event, certainly a step in the right direction. Or, as they used to say when I was younger, big up to Brooklyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment